Students can expect Rutgers Health Services staff to be sensitive and knowledgeable about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning (LGBTQ) students’ medical issues, and to provide appropriate screening, literature, treatment, and/or referrals for specific problems. We strive to offer an environment that encourages students to seek healthcare in an environment that is inclusive and supportive of diversity in the areas of sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
Call the appointment line: 848-932-7402 to schedule an appointment or click here to use our online scheduling tool.
For access to information regarding specific health care needs of the LGBTQ community, click here.
Additional resources for LGBTQ students can be found by clicking here or by contacting the Rutgers Center for Social Justice Education and LGBT Communities.
The Rutgers/UnitedHealthcare StudentResources Insurance coverage for 2013-2014 School year has enhanced benefits for the treatment of Gender Identity Disorder (Sex Transformation)*.
Standard plans include coverage for the following services for gender identity disorder:
- Continuous hormone replacement therapy
- Laboratory testing to monitor hormone therapy
The Rutgers plan also includes coverage for surgical treatment of gender identity disorder (sex transformation surgery). This benefit includes:
- Genital Surgery
- Surgery to change specified secondary sex characteristics
- Meeting diagnostic criteria for gender identity disorder
- Age 18 or older for irreversible surgical interventions
- 12 months of successful continuous full time real life experience in the desired gender
- Treatment plan conforming to the World Professional Association for Transgender Health Association (WPATH) standards
- Reversal of sex transformation surgery
- Fertility preservation
- Cosmetic procedures and treatment*This overview provides assistance in interpreting certain standard UnitedHealthcare benefit plans. It is not designed to be a guarantee of benefits. It is based on the Coverage Determination Guideline available on www.unitedhealthcareonline.com which will be applied in its entirety.