Who can see my health records?

We want you to feel comfortable at Rutgers Student Health (RSH) and to trust that RSH safeguards the privacy and security of your healthcare information. We reinforce this fundamental commitment to confidentiality through management/staff trainings and educational programs. Every RSH staff member signs a confidentiality agreement, which legally binds them to maintain all matters as strictly confidential. Federal and State confidentiality practices maintain strict security controls over patient health information.

For a full description of how health information about you may be used or disclosed, please see the “Notice of Privacy Practices”.

Back to Top

How do I get a copy of my health records or have a copy released to someone else?

If you wish to receive a copy of your health records, or to disclose health information to others, a request for this release must be made in writing. This request can be can be made electronically, at the Front Desk of all RSH facilities, or you can use the Authorization to Disclose Protected Health Information Form.

RSH does not charge a fee for copies of health records that are sent directly to another health care Provider for treatment, or for copies of immunizations. Fees may apply for other requests for release of health information; these fees will not exceed those allotted by NJ law. Please inquire regarding costs at the time of your request.

If you would like to review your health records with your RSH Provider, you can schedule an appointment with them to do so.

Back to Top

Can I email my health care provider?

To help ensure privacy, patients are cautioned against sending sensitive, detailed personal information to RSH via regular (non-secure) e-mail. Patients who wish to communicate with their Providers via email are encouraged to sign up to use the secure email system, which allows communication directly within the health care system between the Patient and the Provider. The sign up process is simple and can be accomplished by going to the Online Student Health link and registering as a user. You will be prompted for your “user name” and “password”.

Please do not email your provider to schedule an appointment!  Call 848-932-7402 or use the online scheduling tool.

Back to Top

What are the immunization requirements?

Rutgers University does require proof of vaccination for the following diseases: Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR), Hepatitis B, and Meningitis. In addition, Tuberculine skin testing may be required in certain situations. Please click here for detailed information on immunization requirements.
Staff at Rutgers Student Health can assist students by providing necessary immunizations (incurs a fee for the vaccine), drawing blood for immune titers (may incur a small fee), and by entering your information into the University computer database.

Back to Top

What do I do if I am not feeling well?

If you are not feeling well and would like to be seen by one of our clinicians, you should call the appointment line. Appointments are usually available within 24 hours by calling (732) 932-7402, or click here to access the online scheduling tool.

Our acute care services include assessing and treating common problems. Examples of typical acute care issues that we see at RSH include (but are not limited to):

  • Cold or flu symptoms, sore throats
  • Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea or abdominal pain
  • Asthma
  • Diabetes
  • Muscle or joint problems, sprains, strains, fractures and lacerations
  • Allergic reactions
  • Dermatological issues (rashes, acne etc)
  • Urinary Tract Infections (UTI), gyn problems and the evaluation of Sexually Transmitted Infections

Typically our acute care appointments are 15 minutes long. For appointments like a complete physical exam, an eating disorders evaluation, routine gynecology exams or a travel consultation you will be asked to make a longer appointment.

Back to Top

How do I know if I need antibiotics?

Antibiotics are only effective against bacterial infections, for example: strep throat or Chlamydia infection. The majority of episodic illnesses are viral. Antibiotics are powerless against viruses, which are best treated by drinking extra fluids, getting adequate rest and using over-the-counter medications to relieve symptoms and support your body’s defenses against viruses.

Your health care professional will evaluate you to determine if antibiotics are necessary. If you are prescribed an antibiotic, you may take the prescription to our pharmacy or an outside pharmacy to get the medicine.

To visit our Pharmacy click here

Back to Top

What do I do if I am sick and I missed class?

Rutgers Student Health does not provide medical excuse notes for minor illness or injury or notes verifying a visit to a health center. If you will be absent from a class, lab, or exam for any reason, please report your absence using the online student absence reporting system: www.sims.rutgers.edu/ssra. It is up to your instructors to determine how to handle your absence. For students with significant prolonged illnesses, such as chickenpox when the student must be out until all lesions are scabbed over or a hospitalization, we do provide notes.

The current policy to not provide medical excuse notes for students with minor illness or injury is consistent with recommendations from the American College Health Association (ACHA) and is similar to policies at other universities.

See our full policy here.

Back to Top

Will the Health Center “misdiagnose” me?

Often, an illness doesn’t fully show itself until a few days after you start feeling sick. Sometimes diagnostic tests are done (throat cultures or blood work), other times testing may not be indicated.  The clinician may request that you return to the Health Center to review test results, if appropriate, or if symptoms persist or become progressively worse in order to make an accurate diagnosis. Sometimes an illness can develop into something different (e.g., a upper respiratory infection may be viral in etiology but could turn into a bacterial sinusitis or pneumonia). We use clinical judgment and evidence based medicine to determine the best course of treatment for each student.

Back to Top

What should I do if I was sexually assaulted?

Health Services staff are trained to provide counseling and care to victims of sexual assualt.  Options are provided and all information is strictly confidential.

Call: 848-932-7402 for an appointment.

You may also contact:

The Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance

3 Bartlett Street  New Brunswick, NJ  08901-1190  848-932-1181

Back to Top

I think I might have a sexually transmitted infection (STI), what can I do?

Simply call the appointment line, 848-932-7402 (or click here to access the online scheduling tool) and schedule a convenient time to meet with one of our clinicians. You’ll be able to discuss your concerns, get an examination and have any lab tests (as recommended by the clinician) done during your appointment. Your care is CONFIDENTIAL!  For more information:  click here

Back to Top

How can I get a prescription for birth control or have my prescription renewed?

A routine gynecological exam may not be required prior to starting some hormonal birth control methods.

If an outside clinician provided prescription birth control, such as birth control pills, and a refill is desired through RSH, you will need to complete a health history form and briefly meet with a health care provider. At that visit, your health history will be reviewed and risks and benefits of the hormonal method you selected will be reviewed with you. In most cases, a pelvic exam will not be required in order to get a prescription for  hormonal birth control,  For more information:  click here

Back to top

What services can I expect as a LGBTQ student?

Students can expect Rutgers Student Health staff to be sensitive and knowledgeable about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning (LGBTQ) students’ medical issues, and to provide appropriate screening, literature, treatment, and/or referrals for specific problems. We strive to offer an environment that encourages students to seek healthcare in an environment that is inclusive and supportive of diversity in the areas of sexual orientation and gender identity/expression. Please call 848-932-7402 to schedule an appointment or schedule an appointment online.

For more information about LGBTQ issues and outreach at Rutgers University, please visit the Center for Social Justice Education and LGBTQ Communities.

Back to top

What is the University and Health Services policy on the use of medical marijuana?

The use, possession or distribution of marijuana, for any purpose, is prohibited on Rutgers University property and at University-sponsered events and activities.  The Rutgers University health centers will not distribute medical marijuana nor will their representatives write prescriptions for marijuana.

Back to top